Friday, February 27, 2015

saw it, loved it, made it {knitted & knotted turban headband}

knitted-and-knotted

I kind of obsessively pin to my "kid style" board on Pinterest. I don't know why I love stylish and different children's clothes so much, but looking through the photos I've curated brings me so much joy (and I'm totally laughing at myself for being such a geek as I'm typing)!

A couple weeks ago I saw and pinned this adorable picture to that board. I just love the way her knitted headband is tied up on her head and so I decided to make one and put my own little twist on it! I definitely think this headband would look way cuter on a little girl, so use your imagination...

knitted-turban-headband

knotted-turban-headband

knit-knotted-turban-headband

knitted-and-knotted-turban-headband-pattern

This knitted turban headband is so easy to make that you'll be able to whip out several in all different colors in no time at all!

Supplies:
1 skein worsted weight yarn (I used Lion Brand's Vanna's Choice in Honey which I also used in my knitted bandana fringe scarf pattern)
Size 11 straight knitting needles
Large eye needle for a seam
Scissors

Knitting stitches to know:
CO- cast on
K- knit stitch
BO- bind off

Instructions:
1. CO 16 stitches.
2. Slip first stitch, K each remaining stitch.
3. Repeat step 2 until piece measures approximately 30 inches.
4. BO but leave a 6 inch tail for sewing.
5. Fold over the short end that you just BO about 3 inches. Using your large eye needle and the 6 inch tail, sew in place.
6. To put headband together, fold over the non-sewn short end to make a loop. Scrunch up loop formed by the sewn end. Pull non-sewn loop through, but not all the way.

This knitted headband gives the illusion of an actual knot being tied, when it is really just a loop pulled up through the hole created by your folded over and sewn edge. 

Following this pattern will give you a turban that will fit a child up to an adult. If you wanted to make it for a baby/toddler, I would do a few less stitches when casting on and alter the length as well. 

turban-headband-how-to

diy-turban-headband

knotted-turban-headband-free-knitting-pattern

I really love the simplicity of this pattern. It would be a great project for a beginning knitter!

Please email me with any questions by clicking the "Contact Me" button on the sidebar and hashtag any finished projects with #LoveCityBlog or #LoveCityCrochet on Instagram! You can also share anything you've made to my facebook page, @Lovecitycrochet! I truly love to see how your projects turn out so please, share away!

See my last Saw It, Loved It, Made It post HERE.

No comments :

Post a Comment