Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Minted review plus a beaded crochet edge tutorial!


You wanna know what's really hard to do? Taking pictures of a window that aren't completely washed out!

But anyways, have you ever scrolled around on Minted.com? They curate some amazing artwork for different things like stationary, wedding stationary, art prints, and even home decor fabric! I tell ya, you could get lost in all the eye-catching beauty. Minted was so kind to allow me to pick something from their site to review and I spent way too long figuring out what to get! My first thought was to choose a couple fun art prints to decorate my dining room, but then I found the fabrics and knew exactly what I wanted to do with them!

I chose two amazing fabric prints and they were even more beautiful in person! And knowing that the prints were specially designed by independent artists made them feel even more special.


With the floral fabric, I decided to make some new curtains for our kitchen window. My sewing machine fell off the table a while back, so I knew that these would need to be "no sew" curtains! I cut the 1 yard of fabric in two long rectangles that fit the size of our window and used fabric glue to "hem" around all four sides. At the top of each curtain, I folded the edge over about 1 1/2 inches so that I could slip the curtain rod through it.


I also knew that I wanted to do something a little fun and different with these curtains, so I went with a crochet edging along the bottom. As I experimented with stitches, I decided to add some wooden beads to add more flair to the look! I am loving how it all turned out!


This edging is so easy to do! Let me show you what I did!

Supplies:
white cotton yarn from Lion Brand's Bon Bons
size F crochet hook
scissors
large eye needle
wooden beads

Step 1: Thread your needle with the white yarn and sew a blanket stitch along the desired edge.


Step 2: Work 2 single crochet stitches in each blanket stitch along the edge.


Step 3: When you have completed your row of single crochets, chain 1 and turn your work. Single crochet in the next stitch. Double crochet in the next stitch then chain 3. Double crochet in the next stitch. Single crochet in the next 2 stitches. *Double crochet in the next stitch then chain 1. Gently slide the crochet hook out of the loop that is on the hook. Pull this loop, making it larger, until it is about 2 inches long. Slip desired wooden beads over this loop and then secure with a knot. Insert crochet hook into the chain 1 that you worked before adding the beads and chain 1 then double crochet into the next st. Single crochet in the next 2 stitches then repeat from * until you reach the end of the row. Fasten off.

Step 4: Repeat steps 1-3 for the second curtain.


Step 5: You can either leave the loops as-is, or snip them evenly across for a more fringe-like look.


I snipped mine, as you can see in the picture below!


I love how my beaded fringe crochet edge turned out and we have been enjoying gazing at the beautiful fabric ever since we hung them up! The fabric is just gorgeous and of great quality. I am anxious to start turning my abstract printed fabric into a fun headboard for our room next!

What would you add this fun crochet border to!?

I highly encourage you to hop on over to Minted.com today to see the huge selection of art and other products! I wish I had a website like this to look through back when we got married. There are some beautiful choices in their line of wedding stationary






**The fabric shown in this post was c/o Minted.com however all opinions included in this post are 100% my own. I had a great experience working with them and therefore have a ton of good things to say!**







No comments :

Post a Comment