Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Our visit to Oak View Farm

historic-oak-view-county-park


historic-oak-view

vintage-tractor

oak-view-cotton-farm

vines-on-a-gate

garden-hydrangeas

oak-view-farm-visit

visit-oak-view-farms

hydrangeas-in-bloom

We visited this beautiful local, historic, cotton farm with some friends a few weeks ago. It was the absolute perfect time to visit. The weather was amazing and the hydrangeas and azaleas were in full bloom! The farm is no longer in production, but they've turned the site into a great learning experience for kids! There was an tractor to ride on, a cow milking station, and some baskets for gathering eggs in the old barn. The plantation style home was being remodeled so we weren't able to tour the inside, but we did get to see the kitchen house where the kids practiced washing clothes with washboards and churning butter. We got to learn a little bit about how cotton is grown and processed and we raced through the little cotton field out back. 

Touring this plantation is like being transported back in time. A time where things were simple. A time when people worked hard and enjoyed the fruits of their labor. Walking through the brick pathed garden made me wish I could live there. It was so gorgeous. I could just imagine sitting on the bench in the garden and reading a book while the kids ran and ran through the fields and forest, imagining and exploring all day long.

I often feel like I was born in the wrong era. I love history, and dresses, and knitting, and reading...but then I remember epidurals and I'm glad for this time I was placed in. So perhaps I'll just stick to reading my regency era books and taking my children to explore fun historic sites!





If you live in the Raleigh, NC area, you should definitely check this place out, Historic Oak View County Park.





No comments :

Post a Comment