Thursday, September 22, 2016

Lucy Grace Haynie


7 lbs. 9 oz.
20 in long
3:35 pm

























Two months later, and I am finally getting around to writing up Lucy's birth story! 

A few weeks before Lucy's due date, I asked my doctor if I could be induced. I had an induction with Milo and everything went so well. My doctor tried to convince me to wait it out naturally, but I had my mind set. I just really felt like inducing Lucy was what we needed to do. 

The morning of her birth, I was feeling extremely nervous. It was somewhat due to my doctor advising me against inducing early, but also because of something Milo said to me a few weeks earlier. He said, "Mama, when will the other baby come, when this one dies?" What a crazy, freaky thing to say...?

When we arrived at the hospital, my dad came by so that he and Curtis could give me a blessing. I felt a sense of calm immediately afterwards, and the rest of the day was just perfect. 

I came in at only 1 cm, but after breaking my water, I jumped to 4 cm. I got my epidural not long after that. The anesthesiologist assured me that he was the best of the best, and he proved himself right! I hardly felt a thing. I felt extremely lucky to have him, along with a really friendly, chatty nurse that we just loved. She told me a story of being told she was having a girl, only to find out it was really a boy! I was pretty convinced that Lucy would end up being a boy too, and that we'd have to come up with a new name pretty quick!

The epidural worked wonders on one side, but on the other side, I felt every excruciating contraction. It was difficult to power through, and I thought for sure it was time to push! The nurse came to check me and I was only at a 5! Seriously!? For some reason, my body was contracting but she wasn't moving down. The nurse brought in this huge thing that looked like an exercise ball that was peanut shaped. I put it between my legs, and after giving my kids a quick call, I could feel my body pushing. It's truly insane how my body new what to do, and was doing it without me even telling it to! It still amazes me. Literally minutes after using the "peanut" and only being 5 cm, we called the nurse back in. I was fully dilated and ready to go. 

Lucy's head was a bit crooked and sorta stuck on my hip bone, which is why she wasn't moving down. But one little twist of her head, and a couple pushes later, she was here! She came so fast, the doctor had to act quick to catch her! Her umbilical cord was tied in a "perfect knot" and the doctor said she was so lucky to be alive and as healthy as she was! At that moment, I knew why I so badly wanted an induction! 

I still had myself convinced she was a boy, until they laid her on my chest and I got a good look! She was a she! We were so happy to finally have our little girl with us, but more than her being our first girl, we were just so happy to have another sweet little baby in our family. We prayed long and hard for her, and for her to finally be here fills us with such joy and gratitude! 

As soon as she laid on my chest, we saw what a quiet, calm soul she is. She hardly made a peep! And now, two months later, she continues to be the sweetest blessing to our family. She can make even the wildest of brothers to stop and coo, and gently stroke her cheeks. She smiles at us all and we love her dearly.


  1. Oh, I loved this story!!!!! I'm so happy you followed the Spirit and that Lucy came exactly when she needed to - beautiful, sweet and perfect! ^^
    (And I agree, totally creepy comment from Milo, haha!) CONGRATULATIONS!!!! 😀😀😀

  2. Congrats on the new baby ♥