Thursday, May 13, 2010

DIY Love {Spring Flower Wreath}

Flowery wreaths are really popular right now. I've seen several around bloggy land and Etsy that I love, so I decided to try my hand at making one.

I decided to use fabric flowers for the embellishment. My Aunt, who is my crafty guru, sent me a link to Sew4Home which had a great fabric flower design!



They are so cute, and super easy to make!
Here is my first try:


This is how I made my wreath:




Luckily, I already had everything I needed in my scrap pile. I'd like to eventually use a bigger wreath, but I bought this one a few years ago at the $1 Store and couldn't put it to waste. Despite what some of you may think about it, I love the $1 Store! I was also lucky to already have fabric scraps that were perfectly cut into long strips.
I cut the strips into a few different sizes so that I could have some variation among the flowers:


Now comes the ironing. I like to do all my ironing together so I can get it done and over with!
I used a blue and white gingham fabric to wrap around the wreath. I just ironed the long edges over to make it look clean, no sewing necessary!


I then took the long strips to be used for flowers and ironed them in half, as the "Tattered Flower" instructions direct.


I like to keep things simple, especially when I am just making something for my own pleasure. So, to make this wreath really simple, I got out my trusty hot glue gun!
I wrapped the gingham fabric around the wreath and then used the glue gun to secure the edges.



Now, unlike the "Tattered Flower" directions, I decided to baste stitch by hand. I didn't feel like getting my sewing machine out for something so quick and easy.
(I can't wait to move into our new house, where I will have a craft room all to myself! I won't have to worry about the sewing machine falling on my head as I try to hoist it down from the shelf in the laundry room!)

I made three "tattered flowers" and also made 4 little fans for some extra flair.

Basting stitch:

Thread pulled tight:

Running thread back through:

Finished fan:

Now, like I said, I like to keep it simple.
I hot glued all of the flowers and fans into place.
I'm sure there is a much more professional way to do it, but I am still pretty pleased with the outcome!



Ta-Da!



What do you think?

I'd love to see any spring wreaths that you have made!

2 comments :

  1. I love it! You make it look so easy, too. The colors you chose look really, really, nice with the dark door.

    ReplyDelete