Monday, December 31, 2012

catching up and keeping touch


Children's Wall Art Print - I Love You, Friend - 8x10 - Kids Nursery Room Decor


One thing that has made this holiday season so sweet for me has been the chance to get together with several of my old friends. I don't know how it all worked out so perfectly, but over the past week I have been able to visit with my best friend from childhood, my best friends from high school, and my best friends from college. I feel so lucky to have these people in my life. They are people that I can share memories with, share secrets with, and most of all share laughs with. These friends of mine are people that I don't see very often, yet somehow our friendship stays the same. The time and distance that separates us all year long doesn't change our relationships. I can still remember the first day that I met some of these friends. It was "friends at first sight." There was no awkward "getting to know you" phase. Our connection was instant. I can see the same thing happening with Ande lately. Any boy at the park with a truck is automatically a friend. I wonder, and hope, that the friendships he has now will continue throughout his life just as mine have. It's unfortunate that as we get older, instant friends are harder and harder to come by. As we get older it is harder to not judge and to not feel self-conscious. I guess that is why I feel so blessed to have made life long friends early on. Now the hard part is keeping them! I don't usually make New Year's resolutions, but this year I want to commit myself to being better at keeping touch with people that I don't see very often. I want to remember more birthdays, congratulate more big life events, and even write notes "just because."

What are your resolutions for the new year?

No comments :

Post a Comment