Thursday, January 30, 2014

diy love {faux fur collar}






I was trying to organize and de-stash my fabric and craft stuff the other day and I came across this really soft faux fur that I bought a while ago. I don't even remember why I bought it, but I'm so glad that I did!

I have been itching for a faux fur accessory to wear ever since I saw some wedding pictures of a friend. She wore this amazing vintage fur wrap over her dress and I fell in love!

When I came across this fabric in my stash, I immediately started cutting and sewing. It literally only took me 15 minutes to make!

This is what I did:
1. I took a peter pan collar that I already owned, folded it in half, and traced around it on a piece of newspaper (leaving about 1/2 inch around each edge for seam allowances).
2. After cutting out my pattern piece, I placed the straight edge on the fold and cut out my pattern in my fur fabric. I cut out two.
3. I placed the pieces right sides together, pinned, then sewed around the edge. I left a 1 inch opening so I could turn it right side out.
4. I hand sewed the little 1 inch opening shut.

It was so easy and fun to whip up. Ande was curious about what I was doing, so I let him help me and he really had fun. He really loves pinning the pieces together, using like 50 pins when only 10 are needed!

If I was really serious, I would have added some interfacing to stiffen it up a little bit. But, that's just not me...I like immediate results =)

I have been having so much fun wearing this with all the cold and snow! My favorite way to wear it is as an accessory around my winter coat!

Now, I'm tempted to go buy some more faux fur and make a cute vest, or shawl, or something! What would you make with faux fur?

(faux fur, faux fur, faux fur...wow I wrote that out so many times in this post and now it really sounds funny!)

No comments :

Post a Comment