Wednesday, January 7, 2015

saw it, loved it, made it {long and chunky knit scarf pattern}




When it's absolutely freezing outside, there's nothing I like better than a giant, chunky, warm scarf! Wouldn't you agree?

Cozy cowl scarves are always abundant, but this year I keep seeing extra long and chunky scarves. I pinned some of my favorite images of these extra long knit and crochet scarves on my Style board on Pinterest. I love how stylish they look while also being ridiculously warm since you can wrap them around your neck as many times as you want!

So, I saw something I liked and then I went out and made one for myself. 

Here's how I made it:

Materials
- size 11 knitting needles (size 15 would've been better, but 11 is what I had on hand!)
- Lion Brand Hometown USA yarn in Santa Fe Tweed (5 skeins, at least)

Cast on 30 sts (or any multiple of 2)

Row 1: K1, P1
Row 2: P1, K1

Continue in this pattern until you have reached your desired length! When my scarf hangs around my neck, the ends dangle just above my knees. This is a great length for me because it gives me a lot of room to wrap it around my neck. The fun part about this is that you can design it however you want!

A couple notes about seed stitch:

- As you work (aside from row 1), you should be knitting the purl stitches and purling the knit stitches.

- When working in seed stitch, you will always (k1,p1) the odd rows and (p1,k1) the even rows.

- Here is a great tutorial: How to knit the seed stitch by Studio Knit


Once your done try adding on a fun addition like pockets or fringe!


(Thanks to my friend Courtney, who writes really thoughtful poetry, for obliging me and taking these pictures!)



No comments :

Post a Comment